Manager, Commercial Retail Development
Number of positions available:1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: Authority Band 10 ($101,926.50-$106,002.00-$110,233.50-$114,660.00)
Closing Date: August 9, 2021
We are more than planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond building and managing world-class facilities and runways, and into the communities we serve. The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of nearly 225 employees who are driven by creating memorable and effortless experiences that reflect the beautiful city and region we serve. Motivated by our vision, we strive to turn the airport experience at YYC into one that air travelers are excited to be a part of.
As a primary driver of our city’s economy and growth, we have an opportunity to help make Calgary a global economic powerhouse. We believe our focus on the future will fuel our city’s next generation of prosperity. And we are ready, willing and able to step up to the challenge. At one of Canada’s busiest airports, our team is working hard to create the best possible experiences for the guests and visitors that arrive, depart and connect through our airport, and we need the help of the best people to help get us there.
The Retail and Commercial Development team is responsible for leading and developing the commercial landscape at YYC. This means looking for creative new concepts to deliver the best shopping and service options at one of Canada’s busiest airports. A diverse group with a passion for delivering on the customer needs, this team is at the forefront of commercial trends, and is focused on building a holistic customer experience.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Are you an energetic, passionate business professional with a track record of success in enhancing brands or businesses? Are you up-to-date with the latest trends in retail experiences? Reporting to our General Manager, Retail and Commercial Development you will help shape our retail landscape by developing our retail footprint, forging new partnerships, and developing existing ones to improve the customer experience at YYC. You are strong team player who is comfortable working with and gaining commitment from key stakeholders across the business.
- Assess and analyze retail sales trends to ensure profitability in order to determine maximum rent threshold and sustainability in the airport market
- Review, analyze and understand gross revenue reporting
- Negotiate and complete leases, lease renewals and lease amending agreements, while coordinating with various cross-functional stakeholders, including legal, infrastructure and others
- Support annual sales and revenue budgeting processes
- Identify and present new and different revenue streams, channels and business lines
- Support and drive the development of new retail partnerships to satisfy passenger needs while ensuring revenue generation for the airport
- Manage revenue management system maintenance for assigned partner list, ensuring data integrity, accurate billings and maintaining a strong CRM with partners
- Liaise with and between airport commercial partners, including retail partners, airline carriers, airline maintenance and related aviation businesses on airport policies, lease agreement compliance and opportunities
- Actively participate in, facilitate and conduct ongoing partner check-ins to ensure regular communications
- In collaboration with cross-functional teams, plan, develop, organize, lead and execute retail promotional programs and business development
- Support assigned partners, as needs require
- Support and conduct regular partner business reviews, retail council meetings and Commercial and Retail meetings, updates and calls
- Develop new ideas and plans to utilize vacant space within the Air Terminal Building
- Support and consult on tenant development projects, proactively managing solutions to issues resulting in mutual benefit for YYC and our partners
- Ensure partners build and maintain a high standard of customer service for all passengers and guests to the airport through continuous improvement
- Liaise with contractors, cross-functional team members and partners on relocation and construction, and reconstruction of tenant spaces impacted in the redevelopment and expansion of the air terminal building
- Liaise with partners daily on any issues that arise, providing strong level of service and engagement for partners in solutioning those issues with the support of cross functional teams
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5+ years’ experience in developing a consumer-based business. Preference given to candidates with experience in aviation, commercial property management, real estate development, retail, hospitality, CPG or durables
- Experience in the travel and hospitality industry considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience with supply and demand planning to identify issues and opportunities
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, with a high level of competence in those areas
- Ability to manage multiple projects or priorities simultaneously and ensure that the goals for each are met
- Strong business acumen, including budget management, analysis and forecasting capabilities used to evaluate the business and make recommendations for changes
- A team player, able to work cross-functionally and balance the interests of YYC with its partners
- Consumer focused, with a mindset of always ensuring decisions are made with the consumer in mind
- Highly adaptable, proactive and persistent with the ability to perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Post-secondary education, preferably in business or related field, or a combination of education, training and/or professional development activities
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC)
- Passion. Bring Passion! We can help teach you the technical skills of the role, but we cannot teach passion!
- Experience with property lease management systems would be an asset.
- Knowledge of assignment/sale or acquisitions of businesses would be an asset.
- Knowledge of contracts, leases and marketing of properties would be an asset.
- Knowledge of retail development processes and requirements would be an asset.
- Sales and /or business development experience and working knowledge of the sales process would be an asset
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta’s Top Employers.