Director, Data and Analytics
Number of positions available: 1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Closing Date: October 31, 2019 or until position is filled
We are more than planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond building and managing world-class facilities and runways, and into the communities we serve. The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of nearly 300 employees who are driven by creating memorable and effortless experiences that reflect the beautiful city and region we serve. Motivated by our vision, we strive to turn the airport experience at YYC into one that air travelers are excited to be a part of.
As a primary driver of our city’s economy and growth, we have an opportunity to help make Calgary a global economic powerhouse. We believe our focus on the future will fuel our city’s next generation of prosperity. And we are ready, willing and able to step up to the challenge. At one of Canada’s busiest airports, our team is working hard to create the best possible experiences for the guests and visitors that arrive, depart and connect through our airport, and we need the help of the best people to help get us there.
The transportation industry generates a tremendous amount of data and the airport is no exception. Analytics can transform aviation by capturing the data, studying it and telling its story to provide new opportunities for guest experience, revenue and operational efficiency. As the Director of Data and Analytics you will be responsible for applying data and analytics tools and techniques to create value for the airport and the thousands of guest that visit us each day.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer and Vice President, Infrastructure, your job will be seriously focused on how we transform YYC to become a data centric culture. There will need to be strong alignment with key business partners within the Authority to move the organization forward on this strategic journey. Additional accountabilities and deliverables for this role include:
• Partnering with third parties to create new and innovative ways to share data with the ultimate goal of increasing revenue, reducing costs and improving overall airport experience.
• Working with internal business groups to help solve problems by leveraging data and analytics to create new and innovative solutions and practices, such as our
• Development of a long-term data strategy for YYC that looks at all aspects of how YYC can collect, study and deliver insights that meaningfully improve how we do business at the airport.
• Ensuring there is a company wide data governance framework so we have the right foundation to build the overall Data and Analytics practice upon.
• Collaborating with our IT group to plan, design, implement and manage the necessary tools and platforms for YYC’s data activities to successfully deliver business value and drive creative thinking and innovation.
• Planning for and the development of a specialized team of resources, including near and long terms plans and the performance management of the team.
• While this role is focused on data and analytics there is a strong requirement for leading new ways of working and engagement throughout the organization. This is to foster an environment where innovation, creativity, collaboration and experimentation are ever present.
Act as an effective member of the Senior Leadership Team by displaying the following leadership competencies:
• Strategic Practices – generate commitment to a clear purpose by supporting organizational priorities such as our vision, principles, and strategic goals and objectives.
• Deliver Results – effectively executes on organizational priorities.
• Developing People – support subordinates through managing performance effectively, giving timely feedback, creating development plans and seeking out development opportunities.
• Building Relationships – seeking opportunities to maintain effective interpersonal relationships such as attending and participating in company meetings, making presentations, seeking input from others.
• Communications – proficient in using a broad range of communication styles and choosing appropriate, effective ways to communicate to different audiences and diverse situations.
WHAT YOU BRING
Bachelor of Computer Science or equivalent degree with a Master’s Degree preferred, combined with a minimum of 15 plus years progressive experience within a complex business environment.
• Strong knowledge and proven track record leading data practices with a focus on governance, reporting, analysis, data science and driving an overall data centric culture.
• Strong experience in developing long term plans and strategies for a data practice. Also, demonstrated ability to execute on these plans and strategies successfully.
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience at a managerial/leadership level. Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to lead, motivate, develop and collaborate with a high-functioning team.
• Inquisitive mindset and keen curiosity to understand the complex operations, procedures and practices of a major international airport.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to synthesize complex technical concepts into plain language.
• Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills with a proven ability to source and implement practical, scalable and efficient business solutions.
• Strong team player with the ability to conduct work with confidentiality and professionalism.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta"s Top Employers.