Director, Air Service Development
Number of positions available: 1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Closing Date: June 21, 2019
We are more than planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond building and managing world-class facilities and runways, and into the communities we serve. The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of nearly 300 employees who are driven by creating memorable and effortless experiences that reflect the beautiful city and region we serve. Motivated by our vision, we strive to turn the airport experience at YYC into one that air travelers are excited to be a part of.
As a primary driver of our city’s economy and growth, we have an opportunity to help make Calgary a global economic powerhouse. We believe our focus on the future will fuel our city’s next generation of prosperity. And we are ready, willing and able to step up to the challenge. At one of Canada’s busiest airports, our team is working hard to create the best possible experiences for the guests and visitors that arrive, depart and connect through our airport, and we need the help of the best people to help get us there.
Our Marketing and Guest Experience team works with all YYC departments and partners to help ensure that all of our guests enjoy the best possible airport experience. We manage and enhance relationships with all travel/tourism and airline partners to ensure YYC provides ever-increasing air service from key global target markets. We manage all internal and external communications and marketing efforts while managing the YYC brand across all channels. We love what we do, we work hard but always manage to have some fun along the way.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As the Director, Air Service Development at the Calgary Airport Authority, you will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies that will support our guest promise which is tied to our North Star. You will also work closely with executives, other senior leaders, internal and external stakeholders to provide strategic oversight and direction to the Air Service Development team to align services with the corporate strategic plan.
You will lead a team responsible for planning, development and implementation of comprehensive air service development strategies to attract, retain and improve air service opportunities across both passenger and cargo airlines in line with our North Star.
This position is integral in supporting the design and implementation of effective air service development initiatives by:
- Developing and implementing a strategic plan for air service development inclusive of key milestones over the 1 to 5-year period aligned with the 5-year nominal schedule to deliver upon our north star and mitigate identified constraints.
- Identifying and driving strategies that will ensure YYC is proactive in establishing air services to meet the needs of our partners and catchment area.
- Identifying industry trends, legislative and economic factors that have potential to disrupt existing air service at YYC to make recommendations for business solutions and/or action plans;
- Establishing an analytical approach to determine business opportunities, including market analyses, case studies, and policy briefings.
- Developing strong relationships with airport agencies and partners that can be leveraged to realize our North Star vision such as Transport Canada, Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, US Customs and Border Protection, Calgary Police Services, Canadian Border Services Agency and airlines.
- Utilizing creative marketing strategies and presentations to retain air cargo and passenger services through data and economic support information.
- Building a strong relationship with other airports within Canada, USA and beyond to strengthen existing city-pair performance and develop new opportunities.
- Partnering with travel and tourism organizations at the local, provincial and federal level to align their investments to existing and future markets with potential.
- Proactively researching and analyzing industry trends impacting airports and airlines specifically related to how they may impact YYC as an airport of choice for air carriers.
- Ensuring a robust departmental talent management strategy is in place to support the effective attraction, retention and development of each member of the team.
- Building, leading and developing a high performing team through leadership by example, effective performance management, succession planning, training and modelling our corporate culture and values.
- Acting as a champion of best-in-class guest satisfaction and influencing airline partners to embrace best-in-class guest satisfaction as a priority.
- Working effectively and developing strong relationships with members of the Senior Leadership and Executive Leadership teams.
- All other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation Management, Business, Transportation, Public administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred. Graduate degree is an asset.
- Minimum 15+ years of progressive experience and leadership within the aviation and/or transportation industry.
- Excellent analytical skills, with proven ability in identifying market trends, manipulating and synthesizing market data. Ability to find/develop unique insights from airline and passenger data. Can ‘tell a story with numbers’.
- A strong strategic thinker with proven experience in providing leading-edge thinking in airport operations
- Proven sales experience including lead generation, business case development and negotiation.
- Prior experience engaging key stakeholders whilst developing and implementing strategies.
- Prior experience and track record of progressive business success at various levels in multi-disciplinary environments.
- Proven experience in developing effective interpersonal relationships both internal and external to the organization.
- Strong technical knowledge of airport and airline business trends and the competitive environment.
- Consensus builder – someone who influences others in a collaborative and productive manner while leading change and taking calculated risks.
- Highly effective coaching, communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong track record building effective teams and fostering a culture of engagement.
- Ability to influence and lead innovation and change throughout the department, as well as prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Language skills a definite asset – English, French, and Asian languages
- Flexibility to travel extensively.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC).
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta"s Top Employers.