Director, Terminal Operations
Number of positions available:1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Closing Date: June 21, 2019
We are more than planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond building and managing world-class facilities and runways, and into the communities we serve. The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of nearly 300 employees who are driven by creating memorable and effortless experiences that reflect the beautiful city and region we serve. Motivated by our vision, we strive to turn the airport experience at YYC into one that air travelers are excited to be a part of.
As a primary driver of our city’s economy and growth, we have an opportunity to help make Calgary a global economic powerhouse. We believe our focus on the future will fuel our city’s next generation of prosperity. And we are ready, willing and able to step up to the challenge. At one of Canada’s busiest airports, our team is working hard to create the best possible experiences for the guests and visitors that arrive, depart and connect through our airport, and we need the help of the best people to help get us there.
Our Terminal “behind-the-scenes” Operations team is passionate about airport operations and ensuring that our terminal operates efficiently, effectively and seamlessly 365/24/7. This team brings their agility to work every day to deal with our ever-changing environment and collaborate with numerous stakeholders within the airport community to solve multi-layered challenges – all to ensure that our partners and passengers can have the best experience at YYC. We love what we do, we work hard but always manage to have some fun along the way.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As the Director, Terminal Operations at the Calgary Airport Authority, you will be accountable for developing and implementing strategies that will support our operational promise which is tied to our North Star. You will also work closely with executives, other senior leaders, internal and external stakeholders to leverage expertise on various projects, foster alignment and build engagement.
You will lead a team responsible for delivering best-in-class terminal operations with evolving priorities and processes, ensuring strategic alignment of our promise to our North Star.
This position is integral in supporting the design and implementation of effective airport operations initiatives by:
- Providing strategic oversight and direction to the terminal operations team to align services with the corporate Strategic Plan and annual Business Plan.
- Developing and implementing a strategic plan for terminal operations, inclusive of key milestones over the 1 to 5-year period aligned with the 5-year nominal schedule to deliver upon our north star and mitigate identified constraints.
- Acting as a champion of best-in-class guest satisfaction whilst influencing airport partners and contractors to embrace best-in-class guest satisfaction as a priority.
- Developing a strong relationship with airport agencies and partners that can be leveraged to realize our North Star vision and deliver a remarkable guest experience such as Transport Canada, Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, US Customs and Border Protection, Calgary Police Service, Canadian Border Services Agency, airlines and ground service providers.
- Working effectively and developing strong relationships with members of the Senior Leadership and Executive Leadership teams.
- Developing and maintaining effective professional relationships with airlines, tenants, contractors, other airports and other business partners to deliver best-in-class passenger experience and terminal operation.
- Building, leading and developing a high performing team through leadership by example, effective performance management, succession planning and modelling our corporate culture and values.
- Directing the management of a 365/24/7 operational team, including planning and scheduling of the airport operational facilities: Gating, Baggage Carousels, Baggage Make Up areas, check in counters and others as developed
- Ensuring that YYC stays abreast of key regulatory and policy changes that may impact the delivery of terminal services; while participating on a national basis through the Canadian Airports Council to influence changes to the policy in the interest of security and the Authority.
- Using key operational metrics to influence airport partners and agencies in delivering best-in-class service delivery.
- Controlling airport slot allocations for all airlines operating into Calgary based on IATA Level 2 rules and timeframes inclusive of seasonal, weekly, daily and special event/construction gate plots.
- Establishing Air Carrier Operating Agreements and coordinated start up for all new entrant air carriers.
- All other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation Management, Business, Transportation, Public administration or Equivalent is preferred.
- Minimum 15+ years of progressive experience in a variety of operations disciplines with at least 10 years in the aviation sector.
- Analytical with a high level of business/industry acumen is required.
- Prior experience engaging key stakeholders whilst developing and implementing strategies.
- Prior experience and track record of progressive business success at various levels in multi-disciplinary environments.
- Proven experience in developing effective interpersonal relationships both internal and external to the organization.
- Prior experience in applying a strategic mind and collaborative approach to leadership, while enjoying the challenge of constantly and consistently improving operational efficiency.
- Highly effective coaching, communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong track record building effective teams and fostering a culture of engagement.
- Strong strategic thinker with proven experience in providing leading-edge thinking in airport operations.
- Ability to influence and lead innovation and change throughout the department, as well as prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Experience in managing crisis situations with effective leadership, calm and visible direction.
- IAAE (International Association of Airport Executives) Canada accreditation preferred.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC).
*Due to the nature of this role, the incumbent will be required to be on–call 24 hours a day/7 days a week and to be on-site at any time during an emergency.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta"s Top Employers.