Airport Maintenance Summer Student
Number of Positions Available: 7
Term Length: Four Month Term (May 2023 - August 2023)
Closing Date: March 27, 2023
WHO WE ARE
We are more than just airplanes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond our runway into the communities we serve. We are about connections, stories and life defining adventures made possible by the work we do. We are committed to fostering an environment where our people are rewarded through meaningful work experiences inspired by purpose.
The Calgary Airport Authority is committed to creating an environment where our students are rewarded through meaningful work experiences and numerous opportunities to connect with employees, stakeholders, and other students just like you. Our program offers students an opportunity to gain valuable industry experience, knowledge, and contacts through full time work in their chosen field.
Our Airside Operations team is passionate about our Airfield, Groundside and Apron Operations. They ensure our campus operates efficiently and effectively. Whether it is rain or shine, or even snow, this team makes certain that our field is safe and secure through site inspections, wildlife management, snow removal, grass cutting, pavement maintenance and so much more. Our Airside Operations team are high performers who make substantive change every day. There is never a dull moment with this team which adds to the excitement of being a part of YYC!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Under the supervision of the Lead Hand, Field Maintenance, you will learn what is required to keep an airport running. Our rapidly expanding environment provides exposure to a variety of outdoor tasks in and around the airport terminal building, airfield and airport lands.
- Spring Cleaning - Sweeping, backpack blowing, curb stop replacement and other maintenance related duties
- Maintenance of turf areas and tree watering on over 5000 acres of airport land
- Assist field teams with painting, asphalt repair and other outdoor maintenance activities
- Landscaping requirements - watering, weeding, fertilizing, operating; mowers, weed whackers, painting and rototillers
- Assist with set up of special events
- Escort and assist contractors on airport lands
- Periodic assistance with administrative duties
- Support Corporate values and initiatives
WHAT YOU BRING
- Enjoy physical work in an outdoor environment
- Ability to take initiative and demonstrate strong time management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Obtain steel toed shoes or boots (an allowance will be given)
- Flexibility to work on a 4 on, 4 off shift with a team of Airfield Equipment Operators
- To qualify as a summer student, you must be enrolled in and returning to a post-secondary institution following your work term.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a restricted area identification card (RAIC)
- This role is considered safety sensitive and will require a pre-employment drug and alcohol test through a third-party provider
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
We invest in our people because they are the backbone of our success. We offer:
- Competitive wages
- Networking and growth opportunities
- Opportunities to give back to the community
We are ACCOUNTABLE. We take ownership and step up to get the job done.
We are CUSTOMER-FOCUSED. We consider the customer in all that we do.
We are COLLABORATIVE. We are stronger when we reach out and work as a team.
We are RESILIENT. We are able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
We are CREATIVE. We strive to find new and better ways of doing things.
The Calgary Airport Authority is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply including women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, and others who may contribute to organizational diversification of ideas.