Senior Enterprise Compute Specialist
Number of positions available: 1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: Band 11 ($119,652.00 $124,429.50 $129,382.50 $134,569.50)
Closing Date: March 21, 2023
We are more than just planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond our runway into the communities we serve. We are about connections, stories and life defining adventures made possible by the work we do. We are committed to fostering an environment where our people are rewarded through meaningful work experiences inspired by purpose.
The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of remarkable people committed to delivering great results. We manage and operate YYC Calgary International Airport, YBW Springbank Airport and collaborate with many partners - from airlines to customer services and government agencies to food and retail outlets. Now is an exciting time to join our crew and advance YYC as one of Canada’s best airports!
If you are passionate about technology and understand the importance of customer service and running a high performance operation, this is the role for you. Our IT team works hard to maintain the physical technology infrastructure and operations that ensure our airport operates efficiently and effectively. This team of high performers connects our people and technology to deliver seamless IT operations every day.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the General Manager, Technical Infrastructure, the Senior Enterprise Compute Specialist role provides technical leadership and subject matter expertise for the Enterprise Compute environment (servers, cloud, virtualization, storage, backups, and related technologies). The role provides architectural input and oversees the creation and maintenance of documented processes, standards, lifecycle management, and guidelines for all Enterprise Compute technologies. The role also provides oversight to contracted Enterprise Compute operations personnel, act as an escalation point for the rest of the Enterprise Compute team, provides mentorship to Enterprise Compute Specialists, and helps maintain strong relationships with vendors, partners, tenants, and the rest of the organization. Lastly, this role will assist the General Manager with business unit management activities such as tactical planning and road mapping, and act as the General Manager’s stand-in when they are unavailable.
- Act as a subject matter expert (SME) for Enterprise Compute technologies (servers, cloud, storage, backups, etc.) including:
- Participate in all stages of the technology lifecycle by working with vendors and partners to identify solutions including Supply Chain to purchase and deliver, and internal/external groups to implement.
- Overseeing the implementation of routine maintenance and evergreening plans.
- Planning large-scale implementation, remediation, modernization or decommission of critical systems.
- Assist the General Manager, Technical Infrastructure with regular business unit management activities including;
- Short-, mid-, and long-term planning, including tactical plans and roadmaps.
- Capacity and Demand measurement.
- Resource planning.
- Annual capital and operational budget planning.
- Development of business cases.
- Research and maintain up-to-date knowledge of current technology trends and best practices.
- Regularly evaluate cloud applications, designs, and best practices.
- Responsible for low to mid-level architecture, including design changes, providing expertise on architectural proposals from vendors, partners, and other Authority personnel, and ensuring alignment and proper implementation of solutions.
- Review and modernize IT lifecycle program of key hardware and software solutions.
- Ensure all compute-related processes, standards and guidelines are established, up to date, and being followed by other personnel through:
- Working with other groups as required to ensure applicability and compliance to processes, standards, and guidelines.
- Works with internal architecture, infrastructure, governance, and security teams to ensure that all security, governance and business continuity requirements and best practices are integrated and implemented.
- Develop and maintain supporting system documentation for supported environments.
- Performs spot-checks and provide compliance reporting.
- Oversee contracted Enterprise Compute personnel by participating in the selection and dismissal, providing direction, guidance and feedback, and ensuring contractor time accuracy.
- Act as a Project Coordinator by coordinating schedules, tasks, and other relevant data and reporting the delivery and progress of such projects to the General Manager, Technical Infrastructure.
- Provide mentorship to junior personnel through informal feedback, guidance, and encouragement of professional development and collaboration.
- Development and manage relationships with vendors, partners, tenants, internal business units and other relevant external parties.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working with IT compute infrastructure including servers (both physical and virtual), storage, cloud, backup systems, and access management systems (such as Active Directory), servers, physical devices and peripherals.
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience will be considered (5-8 years Information Technology work experience dependent upon industry and specialization)
- Extensive experience in VMware architecture, design and implementation. VMware certifications such as VCA, VCP, VCAP, VCDX.
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Windows Server and key backend supporting services on premise and cloud (Azure). Microsoft certifications such as MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
- Experience in cloud operation models, architecture, design and implementation of workloads in AWS. AWS certifications such as AWS Cloud Practitioner, AWS SysOps Administrator.
- Extensive theoretical and practical knowledge in areas such as IT systems architecture, lifecycle management, business process analyses, workshop facilitation, requirements gathering, workflow automation and integration practices.
- Strong understanding of highly-available environments, clustering technology, load balancing, data centers (on-prem, cloud, and hybrid environments), and virtualization technologies
- Experience working in complex 24/7/365 public facility.
- Proven experience as a technology subject matter expert, having successfully delivered numerous projects to an operational state.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks and priorities through time management, prioritization, and organization skills.
- Cost control and risk management skills.
- Strong interpersonal, decision making and leadership skills.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a restricted area identification card (RAIC)
- This role is eligible for our hybrid work model with a combination of in-office and remote work.
We are ACCOUNTABLE. We take ownership and step up to get the job done.
We are CUSTOMER-FOCUSED. We consider the customer in all that we do.
We are COLLABORATIVE. We are stronger when we reach out and work as a team.
We are RESILIENT. We are able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
We are CREATIVE. We strive to find new and better ways of doing things.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta’s Top Employers.
The Calgary Airport Authority is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply including women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, and others who may contribute to organizational diversification of ideas.