Project Manager II
Number of positions available: 1
October 2022 to December 2024
Band 11 ($119,652.00 - $124,429.50 - $129,382.50 - $134,569.50)
Closing Date: October 5, 2022
We are more than just planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond our runway into the communities we serve. We are about connections, stories and life defining adventures made possible by the work we do. We are committed to fostering an environment where our people are rewarded through meaningful work experiences inspired by purpose.
The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of remarkable people committed to delivering great results. We manage and operate YYC Calgary International Airport, YBW Springbank Airport and collaborate with many partners - from airlines to customer services and government agencies to food and retail outlets. Now is an exciting time to join our crew and advance YYC as one of Canada’s best airports!
If you are passionate about your work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, then you will fit right in with this group. Our Terminal Construction team is always on the go and work very closely with many internal and external stakeholders to ensure the continuous development and improvement of our international airport.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the GM, Terminal Construction, the Project Manager II is responsible for the overall Project and Program Management of projects related to terminal construction. The projects will include construction or renovation where the end result is a tangible physical improvement to the airport facility. These projects can be anything from a new airline counter configuration, a passenger loading bridge, or new office space to an entirely new industrial subdivision, new buildings, or hangars depending on what projects are slated for the year. The Project Manager II will oversee multiple projects simultaneously, from small and technically straight forward to very large and technically complex projects.
Though the scope of duties is broad, the major duties include:
- Develop project charters with internal clients, report progress to internal clients, supervisors, and other stakeholders as required
- Monitor schedules, estimate design and construction durations, set and communicate project milestones
- Responsible for the management of all costs on individual projects and all elements within a project including establishing project budgets, tracking and updating project costs within CPERS, determining how best to control costs when it appears they may exceed budget, and forecasting monthly cash flows for each project
- Identify potential risks during project charter phase and implement plans to reduce that risk, as well as monitoring the life of the project for unplanned risks
- Lead the project team including the definition of roles and responsibilities, acquisition of staff, mitigation of team conflicts, management of staff performance and replacement of ineffective team members if necessary
- Act as the central point of contact for all information distribution regarding a project including extensive communication with the numerous project partners and participants (i.e. regulatory agencies, government, emergency services and internal departments) that may be affected by specific project activities
- Chair or participate in planning, design or construction related meetings in order to properly execute projects and share information related to airport operational impacts
- Work closely with Airport Operations to ensure detailed operational plans & schedules are prepared, communicated and managed
- Conduct safety investigations in cooperation with the Authority Operations Department to uncover risks, minimize impact to Operations and ensure a safe working environment for all
- Manage project challenges and operational difficulties that are complex and conducts work in environments that are currently overextended or near capacity; completing this work within very stringent and tight operational windows
- Prepare Terms of References and related technical and legal documentation, and subsequently directs the contracting process in order to retain Architectural, Engineering and other specialized consultants
- Participate in consultant selection and is the primary negotiator for the Authority with respect to consultant fees while verifying that the consultant has met the requirements of the scope of work and controls against unwanted extra work (“scope creep”)
- Prepare or manage the preparation of final Engineering and Architectural designs, working drawings, detailed specifications, and cost estimates for approved Capital Projects using in-house resources or external consultants
- Plan, organize, and deliver the activities related to Construction Tenders through collaborative work with the Supply Chain Department, and then manage the construction through all phases of the project, including quality control of materials and construction methods
WHAT YOU BRING
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering or Architecture
- Professional designation such as P. Eng. or working towards
- PMP or CAPM or working towards and strong knowledge of life cycle and PM methodologies
- Experience in at least 1 discipline: civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, construction, architectural
- Able to execute on all aspects of a project over the entire project life cycle for a number of projects at the same time
- Ability to apply the knowledge of technical standards, regulations, policies and procedures (external or internal) and application of keen measured management processes implemented at the right instance
- Experience with managing projects with budgets of $10M or more
- Strong proficiency in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Project
- Applies solid conflict management skills and expertise to persuade and negotiate effective resolution of issues
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively present info to relevant stakeholders at all levels
- Experience working with a variety of internal/external stakeholders
- Strong working knowledge of current construction cost estimating methods
- Ability to apply economic analysis knowledge to life-cycle costing, determining payback periods, and conducting sensitivity analyses
- Sound understanding of contract law and experience in negotiating contracts
- Ability to identify potential safety issues that, if not addressed, could pose a liability to the Authority within the complex nature of working in a 24/7/365 public facility, which currently operates close to capacity
- Comprehensive knowledge of Airfield and Terminal system capacities and operational impacts of facility planning, design and construction of Airfield and Air Terminal related projects as they relate to Security Measures
- Time management and organizational skills
- Judgment and decision-making skills
- Detailed working knowledge of the Air Terminal Building’s functionality including architectural and structural makeup, mechanical and electrical systems, baggage handling systems, passenger loading bridges, IT and communication systems, airport safety and security systems
- Detailed working knowledge of Construction Installation Permits, Tenant Design guidelines, WHMIS/MSDS, Fall Protection and many NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) Standards and Guidelines and a full understanding of the capacities of each of these systems to direct design and planning initiatives, research alternatives and/or identify new required initiatives
- Knowledge of YYC applications such as CPERS, CREG, RSP is an asset
- Must have and maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC)
- Must be able to meet and maintain the requirements of a Safety Sensitive position, this includes pre-employment medical assessment and Drug & Alcohol testing
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as approved by Health Canada
ACCOUNTABLE. We take ownership and step up to get the job done.
CUSTOMER-FOCUSED. We consider the customer in all that we do.
COLLABORATIVE. We are stronger when we reach out and work as a team.
RESILIENT. We are able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
CREATIVE. We strive to find new and better ways of doing things.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta’s Top Employers.
The Calgary Airport Authority is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply including women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, and others who may contribute to organizational diversification of ideas. If you require any assistance in applying or accommodations during the recruitment process, please indicate on your application