Manager, Air Service Development
Number of positions available: 1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Authority Band 10 ($104,481.00 $108,654.00 $112,983.00 $117,526.50)
Closing Date: May 24, 2022
We are more than just planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond our runway into the communities we serve. We are about connections, stories and life defining adventures made possible by the work we do. We are committed to fostering an environment where our people are rewarded through meaningful work experiences inspired by purpose.
The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of remarkable people committed to delivering great results. We manage and operate YYC Calgary International Airport, YBW Springbank Airport and collaborate with many partners - from airlines to customer services and government agencies to food and retail outlets. With the opening of our new international terminal and Canada"s longest runway, this is an exciting time to join our Crew and advance YYC as one of Canada"s best airports.
The Air Service Development (ASD) team grows airline capacity by working with key stakeholders and our air carriers to add new flights, increase frequencies, and up-gauge aircraft. ASD works to provide a valuable service to the community by driving exceptional client relationships through clear communication, collaboration, streamlining processes, and providing access to information. Our ASD team is always on the go with a focus on growing YYC. They work very hard, and like the rest of our people, they know how to have fun!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Director, Air Service and Land Development, the overall responsibility of this position is to provide business analysis to support the Authority’s air service development strategy. Acting as a liaison to YYC industry partners, you will be accountable to evaluate and develop new and existing airlines at YYC. This role is ideal for an individual who has a passion for aviation combined with a keen interest in global economic markets and business development.
- Retain, grow, and steward new route development with air carriers at YYC.
- Understand key airline infrastructure, operational and commercial needs.
- Develop growth plans with key airline accounts.
- Develop relationships with carriers/other industry partners to assist in market growth.
- Oversee strategic projects/initiatives that enable airline growth at YYC.
- Monitor routes served by incumbent carriers, identify opportunities for growth and assist incumbent carriers in increasing traffic at YYC.
- Monitor carrier fleet plans, strategic development and growth at competing airports.
- Act as the primary liaison between carriers and internal and external stakeholders.
- Act as subject matter expert to ensure carriers are well informed as to YYC processes and procedures.
- Assist carriers with communication and understanding of operational regulations set out by agency services such as Canada Customs, US CBP, CATSA, Health Canada and other external stakeholders.
- Research, identify, and provide recommendations to assist carriers in identifying market opportunities between strategic routes.
- Research, analyze data, and assess information to promote the Calgary International Airport as a preferred location for airlines.
- Provide promotional and marketing support to air carriers and act as coordinator for targeted air service marketing initiatives at YYC; this includes market analysis, initiative planning, coordination & implementation.
- Research and develop business cases and route development activities for incumbent airlines and targeted prospects for new air services.
- Attend industry events & conferences, gather information, and make presentations as a representative and ambassador of YYC to carriers.
- Complete timely and accurate Quality Service Index (QSI) analysis to identify whether new opportunities have a positive and viable impact on YYC’s air services.
- Present to all levels of industry officials, airline executives, and local/regional/national stakeholders.
- Travel frequently to make presentations to airlines and attend targeted industry events; act as a representative and ambassador of YYC.
- Provide market research, airport development information, and air service updates to industry stakeholders as required.
- Monitor and understand economic, industry and government regulatory factors that impact carriers and air service development at YYC; this includes monitoring of aviation industry in Canada and International markets.
- Remain current with global trends that will impact the competitiveness and success of the development program.
- Respond to requests from key stakeholders in a professional and timely manner.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Five or more years’ experience working with airlines/airport in route development.
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Economics, or related discipline with a strong emphasis on analysis, research, business development and knowledge of global economic conditions.
- Strong technical and operational knowledge of the airline and airport industry, including aviation terminology, aircraft performance, range and capacity, aircraft scheduling, bilateral agreements, airline alliances and security protocols.
- Understanding of airline economics including operating cost structure, cost control and revenue management.
- Experience with implementing new international air services (operational and commercial.)
- Exceptional knowledge of International and Canadian business protocols & cultural sensitivities.
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to develop and present engaging presentations.
- Solid understanding of global economic conditions and factors affecting the aviation industry.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to analyze data and develop relevant business cases combined with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of industry tools such as Sabre, Diio and Liftplan is considered an asset.
- Ability to adjust work schedule to incorporate duties, many of which fall outside of regular work hours.
- Flexibility to travel frequently.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft products (Excel, Word, Power Point.)
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC)
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as approved by Health Canada
- Flexibility and personality to interact with all stakeholders and customers, ranging from operational staff to data analysts to business leaders in Calgary or the aviation industry.
- Ability to maintain relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
- Exceptional organizational skills to manage complex, diverse responsibilities and competing priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
- Exceptional judgment, discretion, and professionalism.
- Keen attention to detail with the ability to effectively focus on multiple projects and priorities with a calm, focused and flexible attitude and embracing change.
- Ability to embody YYC’s values and drive impact to support the organization’s strategic planks.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta’s Top Employers.