Director, Airside Operations
Number of positions available: 1
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Closing Date: May 11, 2022
We are more than just planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond our runway into the communities we serve. We are about connections, stories and life defining adventures made possible by the work we do. We are committed to fostering an environment where our people are rewarded through meaningful work experiences inspired by purpose.
The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of remarkable people committed to delivering great results. We manage and operate YYC Calgary International Airport, YBW Springbank Airport and collaborate with many partners - from airlines to customer services and government agencies to food and retail outlets. With the opening of our new international terminal and Canada"s longest runway, this is an exciting time to join our Crew and advance YYC as one of Canada"s best airports.
The Calgary Airport Authority is a not-for-profit non share capital corporation, responsible for the management, maintenance, operation and development of the Calgary International Airport and Springbank Airport under a long-term lease from the Government of Canada.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Director, Airside is responsible for leading, managing and maintaining highly efficient, safe and secure airside operations at the Calgary International Airport. The role will provide strategic leadership to the airside operations team to ensure customer satisfaction as we pursue our objectives of performing as a world class global hub.
- Responsible for the overall management of the airfield facilities, grounds, and mobile equipment. This includes the maintenance and repair of all runways, taxiways, aprons, fences, roads, walkways and parking lots, landscaped areas, specialized heavy-duty equipment, and light vehicles.
- Manage the airfield and groundside roads Snow Removal Program to ensure a safe and efficient operation. Compile various plans and implement various programs to ensure a safe and efficient winter operation including winter operations plan and snow desk program.
- Strategic decision-making regarding airside operation service delivery.
- Forging strong working relationships with airline partners and other key stakeholders (including government agencies) to ensure delivery of prescribed service levels and resolution of operating problems
- Flawless execution of contingency plans to minimize safety risks and disruption during irregular operations.
- Proactively managing the airside operational risks by enhancing competency, driving accountability, and building a strong operational safety discipline across the airside platform.
- Establish annual performance goals, monitor and review with employees. Ensure leaders are managing staff in accordance with the collective agreement and airport policies and procedures.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of legislation, standards, and policies related to Airfield operations and ensure the Authority is in compliance.
- Manage large contracts including specification development, tendering, award and monitoring compliance, and supervision. Compile documentation for annual capital funding.
- Determine longer-term resource and facility/equipment needs based on airfield growth and customer requirements; develop and establish plans to satisfy these needs.
- Provide a safe airfield to the traveling public and other users by developing, implementing and monitoring airfield safety programs and policies such as foreign object damage control, site self-inspection, runway monitoring, bird and wildlife control, runway incursion, incident reporting and runway friction testing.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education with a degree in business administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a leadership role in Aviation Operations with a focus on apron and airfield operations.
- Solid knowledge of managing airport operations, either Terminal or Airside is a definite asset
- Minimum 10 years of experience in people management (direct reports or cross-functional).
- Experience working within a unionized environment is a definite asset.
- Recent experience with airport construction or restoration projects such as apron, taxiway and runway works is considered an asset.
- Experience integrating technology and working with data and analytics to drive improvements across operational touchpoints.
- Forward looking with the ability to think strategically and foster a culture of engagement and preparedness
- Extensive experience in airport operations/facilities management.
- Progressive experience in management positions, especially in a unionized environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Transport Canada regulations and standards related to airfield operations.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a restricted area identification card (RAIC)
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as approved by Health Canada
- This role is considered safety sensitive and will require a pre-employment drug and alcohol test through a third-party provider
We are ACCOUNTABLE. We take ownership and step up to get the job done.
We are CUSTOMER-FOCUSED. We consider the customer in all that we do.
We are COLLABORATIVE. We are stronger when we reach out and work as a team.
We are RESILIENT. We are able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
We are CREATIVE. We strive to find new and better ways of doing things.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year. Click the apply button for your chance to learn how you can be a part of one of Alberta’s Top Employers.